Friday, September 19, 2008

Mail Merge in CRM Online

This post comes from one of my co-workers who has been doing some extensive work with CRM Online. This was spurred by some data connection errors that we saw both from CRM Online as well as a couple of On Premise installations. The error only occurs through the web client, from what I am told, but basically the data connection stored in Word to pull all of the CRM data gets corrupted upon creation and isn't usable...making your CRM Mail Merge pretty lame. This is a work around for this issue. Microsoft is aware of the issue and is working on a hotfix.

Setting up Mail Merge in CRM Online. Here are some errors I got while setting up Mail Merge Documents in CRM Online, and what I did to fix it.

First I have to start with a blank Document. I choose my data fields and click ok. Here is the message I get.

"Opening the document will run the following SQK Command:
Data from your database will be placed in the document. Do you want to continue?"

I click Yes and then get this message:

From here, If I choose to "Find Data Source", I get stuck in an endless loop and can’t do anything. If I choose “Options”, then I can remove the data/header source.

Sorry for the small image, but the two buttons are "Remove Data/Header Source" or "Remove All Merge Info".

Then its regular mail merge. If I am using the web client, I have to go to Add-Ins, and click ‘CRM’. If I’m using the Outlook client, it opens the mail merge.

Once I create my xml template and upload it into CRM, I don’t have this problem with the data source anymore. I only have this problem when using a CRM Out of the Box template of doing a mail merge to a blank document.

Also, Outlook users don’t have to click Add-Ons> CRM one inside of word either, only web-users have to do that.

That should get you going and give your users some options if you ever run into this issue.

David Fronk and Team
Dynamic Methods Inc.

No comments:

Post a Comment