Friday, October 19, 2007

Searching Attachments

I was recently asked about how to search Attachments in MSCRM. I assumed that Advanced Find would be up to the challenge but I had never actually tested it myself.

So, I thought I'd put Advanced Find to the test and I have to say that it did not disappoint. From Advanced Find if you search against Notes (or from whatever entity you want and then search through the related Notes) you can search the following:

File Name - searches the file name of the attachment
File Size - checks the size of the attachment (great for less than/greater than to clean up your DB)
IsDocument - this mostly tells the system whether or not there is an attachment on the Note

Pretty cool. Too bad you can't search in the document but that's a bit out there. And I guess that's what SharePoint is for. Who knows, maybe we'll see this capability show up in later versions (and no this is not included in v4.0, sorry).

David Fronk
Dynamic Methods Inc.

No comments:

Post a Comment