Friday, March 27, 2009

Viewing "Customizations" Area while Outlook Client is Open

I made mention to one of the Microsoft CRM Product Managers that the fact that I cannot access "Customizations" from the Outlook client, or the Web client when I have Outlook open seems silly to me. When the Outlook client first came out it was titled "The Sales for Outlook Client" and with that title not including "Customizations" made sense. But now the client has moved far from that title and this really shouldn't be an issue for end users.

The Product Manager looked at me in a confused way and said, "Why don't you just update the Site Map?" I couldn't believe that something so simple could solve my problem. Previously I've had users go to a separate URL, like the IP address, or I would set up another host header to work around this. But I tried this and this way is much better.

All you have to do is export the Site Map and find the XML tag "nav_syscust" under the "Settings" area tag and add:

Client = "All"

Save, import, publish and you're all set. Here's the full line:

<SubArea Id="nav_syscust" ResourceId="Homepage_SystemCustomization" Icon="/_imgs/area/18_syscust.gif" Url="/tools/systemcustomization/systemcustomization.aspx" Client="All" />

Enjoy,

David Fronk
Dynamic Methods Inc.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Simple and yet added based on feedback :) One of those items that is nice to slip in when no one is looking because the person doing the slipping is tired of hearing the complaint.

Dynamic Methods said...

It's nice to know the CRM product team is listening. We just need to keep the suggestions coming.

David Fronk
Dynamic Methods Inc.

Post a Comment