Friday, December 12, 2008

Reassociating MSCRM Users with Active Directory Users

Back in the version 1.0 and 1.2 days fixing CRM user associations was a huge pain. Users would get deleted from Active Directory or CRM users would need to be reassociated with a different user in Active Directory. These tasks were either impossible to perform or nearly impossible to recover from. In these instances, MS Support had to get involved to reassociate records owned by that user through the back end with some of their utilities.

When version 3.0 came out finally users had the ability to use Deployment Manager to reassociate CRM users to Active Directory users. This helped a lot.

In version 4.0 the ability to reassociate CRM users with Active Directory users through Deployment Manager has gone away. When I discovered this I was very upset because I support numerous companies and inevitably, between all my clients, I will get a handful of these type of issues a year. So, having that utility was a reasonably big deal to me. After some poking around I found that reassociating users in MSCRM 4.0 is actually even easier than it was in 3.0. Since I was expecting some special command or utility I never even noticed it.

If you open up a user's card in CRM in all other versions the Username field has been locked down as soon as you save the record. In 4.0 this is not the case. All you have to do to reassociate the user record with a different Active Directory record is change the username. The autopopulate of the fields still occurs and everything gets reassociated.

Now you're ready to rock and roll and keep all of your users between MSCRM and Active Directory in sync.

David Fronk
Dynamic Methods Inc.

No comments:

Post a Comment