Friday, April 11, 2008

Cannot "Track in CRM" Insufficient Privileges

I have been a part of over 10 upgrade or fresh installs of MSCRM 4.0 and every so often I get a complaint from the client that they cannot promote items from Outlook to CRM because they are told they do not have sufficient privileges to do so. After checking the security role everything looks good but still they cannot promote. I have even modified the role such that it has full access to EVERYTHING and still users with that role cannot promote. However, the system administrator can promote. So, the next step I tried was to create a copy of the system administrator role and have it replace the non-working role. The users who have the copy of the role as thier role, with no privileges modified, can now promote items from Outlook to CRM. I then tried removing the privileges such that they macthed the original role. Now the users could promote with not problem. All privileges were the same the last time through, so what was the difference? The only difference was that the second role was a copy of the System Administrator role.

I guess this means that there is some hidden attribute or something that CRM checks for that none of the other roles have (maybe the system customizer role).

The good news is that I haven't seen this issue with new installs of CRM 4.0, only in upgrades from 3.0 to 4.0. And in all honesty I've seen this issue in probably 20-30% of the upgrades I've been a part of. Not a ton but enough to cause a headache if you don't know the answer.

Good luck out there!

David Fronk
Dynamic Methods Inc.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

hi there i face the same problem in the office and it is a pain.....beside the above the way is there any other way?

Dynamic Methods said...

The only other thing that I've seen is that you have to have minimal read and create rights on at least all core objects, if not all objects that can have Activities related to them. Account, Contact, Lead, Opportunity, Activities, etc. I typically see this at sites where Leads aren't used. And as soon as we give them minimal rights on read and create on the Lead they get fixed right up.

Give that a try and see if that works for you.

David Fronk
Dynamic Methods Inc.

Unknown said...

Thank you David Fronk..We had a similar issue and your suggestion worked great. Giving user level access to the create and read privileges of the Lead entity resolved the issue.
Thanks again...

Unknown said...

Thank you David. We had a similar issue and giving user level access to the Create and Read privileges of the Lead entity resolved the issue.
Thanks again...

Anonymous said...

Hi,
I am facing the same issue but my installation is a fresh CRM 4.0 one, not an upgrade from CRM 3.0. Could the above be a solution for me?
Thanks in advance

Dynamic Methods said...

Spike,

I'm glad to hear this helped you out. It's one of those annoying things that's so simple to fix but figuring out the solution is so frustrating.

Thanks for the comments.

David Fronk
Dynamic Methods Inc.

Dynamic Methods said...

Fresh install or upgrade, I've seen both ways. I've found this issue to be more common among upgrades but I definitely have seen this occur in fresh installs as well. Give the solution a shot and see if it doesn't fix your problem.

David Fronk
Dynamic Methods Inc.

Post a Comment