The first thing that I did was go into the IIS Management Console and manually change the port number there. I found out that was only half the problem. From here, once this change is made one could run a repair and that should make all of the necessary changes to the CRM web site for you from there. However, if you have installed Rollup1, or any other patches for that matter, you would then have to reinstall everyone of those patches. Not the most effective use of time in my opinion.
So, after poking around a bit I found that the other piece that I needed to update was the URL registry key titled "ServerURL" under the "HKey_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\MSCRM" hive. You simply need only to add the colon ":" and the port number and you're set. So, your URL would go from "http://
Dynamic Methods Inc.